Prep: 15 min | Cook: 45 mins | Total: 1 hr 10 mins | Servings:8..
| My pickle of a pursuit for the perfect pizza proxy persists!|
I'm always looking for ways to fill that empty leg of mine. One of the many ways in which I look to satisfy my desires is in pursuing pizza and pizza-like substitutes. To date, I've yet to enjoy a pizza as satisfying as those from my darker days. As fantastic as the food is that I eat, a perfect low-carb pizza to me, is like the Great Pumpkin is to Linus. I believe it's out there and I spread that message far and wide, and while I am a true believer ... I've never actually seen one.
So, on occasion, rather than try and duplicate a perfect pizza, I swerve and ... make pizza fusions!
In this case, I've taken two of my favorite things ... a pizza and ... a frittata and I've made them one. A perfect pizzattata!
At it's core, it's little more than a crust-less quiche topped with tomato sauce, pepperoni and cheese, but when you bite into the warm soft custard, topped with the crunchy browned cheese and streams of bright orange oil ... your mind will think of pizza ... and feel satisfaction ... if even only for a minute.
Other Pizza Pursuits:
|1/2 lb (227g) raw italian sausage (sweet or spicy)||541.74||39.12||41.9||3.84||1.44||0||2.4|
|1 tbsp (14g) light oil/fat (such as lard, olive or ghee)||120||12||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 lb (454g) crimini or button mushrooms, quartered||122.58||0||13.62||18.16||4.54||0||13.62|
|2 each (236g) small green zucchini, cut into half moons||38||.74||2.92||8.04||2.92||0||5.12|
|2 tsp (2g) fresh oregano, rough chop||2.02||.04||.12||.48||.28||0||0.2|
|2 cup (224g) whole milk, low moisture mozzarella, grated||702||56||48||8||0||0||8|
|1 cup (100g) parmesan cheese, grated||431||29||38||4||0||0||4|
|1/2 lb (227g) pepperoni slices, divided||1121.4||99.88||52.21||0||0||0||0|
|1/2 lb (227g) ham, deli slices||356.53||16.03||46.74||4.01||0||0||4.01|
|8 large (400g) whole eggs||572||40||52||4||0||0||4|
|1 cup (238g) cream, heavy whipping||821||88||5||7||0||0||7|
|1 cup (240g) unsweetened almond milk (Buy Now)
|1 cup (250g) low carb pasta sauce (Buy Now)
|salt, fresh cracked pepper and chili flakes, to taste||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Totals (of 8 Servings):||5013.27||394.31g||306.51g||72.53g||14.18g||0g||58.35g|
|Per Serving:||626.66||49.29g||38.31g||9.07g||1.77g||0g||7.29g *|
- If your Italian sausage is in casings, remove it. In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, sauté it, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, as if it were ground beef. When it is cooked, set in a bowl to cool.
- In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, add a little oil and then sauté the mushrooms with a little salt and pepper. When the mushrooms are about half cooked and have lost most of their water, add the zucchini to the pan and turn the heat up to high. Add the chopped oregano and little salt and pepper. Remove the veggies and set in a bowl on the side. The zucchini should still be firm, but soft enough to eat.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Grease a round 9-inch cake pan.
- Combine the mozzarella and parmesan together.
- Mix one-third of the cheese mixture with the cooked sausage and then line the bottom of the cake pan.
- With half of the pepperoni slices, create a layer of pepperoni on top of the sausage, followed a layer of sliced ham.
- Mix one third of the cheese mixture with the vegetables, then create a layer of the vegetable cheese mixture on top of the ham.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream and almond milk with a little bit of salt and pepper. Whisk well. Slowly pour the mixture over the top of the pan and allow it to sink into the ingredients. If using modified ingredients or pan size, be sure to leave enough room in the top of the pan for some tomato sauce, pepperoni and more cheese.
- Once the egg mixture has been added, gently and evenly spoon some marinara sauce around the top of the pan.
- Spread a layer of pepperoni.
- Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 35 to 45 minutes, or until it's somewhat puffed in the center and the cheese is golden in color.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for at least 10 minutes before cutting.
- Cut and serve!
For other great low-carb recipes, check out loads of daily recipes at Low Carbing Among Friends. I'm a member of this wonderful team.
Check out our books!(Psst. I'm in the fifth one!)
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.* Learn More: More about this recipe and nutrition ...