Pepperoni Pizza Pockets
Prep: 15 min | Cook: 25 min | Total: 40 min | Servings:2..
| This recipe is from the magnificent, kind and generous Stacey, over at BeautyandtheFoodie.com. Check out her guest blog post to see why this is here!|
Things you'll need:
Process zucchini and garlic in a food processor or blender until finely ground. Then place zucchini in, at least, two layers of paper towels or a cheesecloth. I tried to use one paper towel once, and the towel tore and ground zucchini went everywhere.
- 2 Large baking sheets
- Blender, or food processor
- Parchment paper, 2 sheets
- Pastry brush, or other sauce brush
Wrap ground zucchini and garlic in paper towels or cheesecloth and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
After combining the crust ingredients, divide dough into two mounds and spread each into a circular formation on the parchment paper with the back of a spoon. Try not to get it too thin. You should not see any paper through the dough. Then use the back of the spoon to slide around the circle and smooth out the edges.
After baking, place a second sheet of parchment paper on top of the zucchini crusts. Then flip both sheets, with crust between them, over onto baking sheet and slowly peel off the parchment paper on top of crust.
After baking, spread pizza sauce over entire crust, and put toppings and cheese over half of each circle.
Fold half of crust over bottom half with the toppings (like folding an omelet). Press open part of pocket closed with a spoon or fingers. Do not worry if it does not seal well, it will when the cheese melts. If any of the closed part cracks open, just push it closed with fingers. Brush the tops of crust with melted butter and sprinkle with parmesan. Put back in oven to bake again until browned.
|Zucchini Crust||Calories||Fat||Protein||Carbs||Fiber||SA's||Net Carbs|
|1 small to medium (118g) zucchini, cut into thirds||19||.37||1.46||4.02||1.46||0||2.56|
|1 each (3g) garlic clove, peeled (optional)||4||0||0||1||0||0||1|
|1 large (50g) whole egg||71.5||5||6.5||.5||0||0||0.5|
|1 tbsp (7g) coconut flour (Buy Now)
|2 tsp (4.33g) golden flaxseed meal (Buy Now)
|1/2 tsp (.25g) italian seasoning (Buy Now)
|1/4 tsp (1g) sea salt (optional) (Buy Now)
|1/4 cup (28g) whole milk, low moisture mozzarella, grated (optional)||89||7||6||1||0||0||1|
|2 tsp (9.33g) butter, melted||66.67||7.33||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 tbsp (6.25g) parmesan cheese, grated||26.94||1.81||2.38||.25||0||0||0.25|
|Pizza Sauce||Calories||Fat||Protein||Carbs||Fiber||SA's||Net Carbs|
|2 tbsp (31.25g) tomato puree (or tomato-only sauce)||11.88||.13||.5||2.75||.63||0||2.12|
|1/4 tsp (.13g) italian seasoning (Buy Now)
|1/4 tsp (.75g) garlic powder||2.49||.01||.13||.55||.08||0||0.47|
|1/4 tsp (.13g) oregano, ground||.37||.02||.02||.08||.06||0||0.02|
|8 thin slices (16g) pepperoni or salami (nitrate free)||78.86||6.86||3.43||0||0||0||0|
|1/4 cup (28g) cheese of choice, grated||89||7||6||1||0||0||1|
|Totals (of 2 Servings):||511.85||37.83g||29.22g||17.22g||6.73g||0g||10.49g|
|Per Serving:||255.93||18.92g||14.61g||8.61g||3.37g||0g||5.24g *|
For other great low-carb recipes, check out loads of daily recipes at Low Carbing Among Friends. I'm a member of this wonderful team.
Check out our books!(Psst. I'm in the fifth one!)
- Preheat oven to 400 F, and line a baking sheet with one sheet of parchment paper.
- Add zucchini squash and garlic clove to blender or processor, and process until finely ground.
- Place ground zucchini garlic mixture in a cheese cloth (fine woven towel) or layered paper towels, and squeeze and drain out as much liquid as you can into the sink.
- Add the zucchini and garlic from the towel to a mixing bowl and add : egg, coconut flour, flax meal, Italian Seasonings, grated mozzarella cheese, and sea salt.
- Stir and mix well until a pasty dough forms, if it is too runny, then add a little more flax ( if you wait a few moments it will thicken up as flour absorbs the liquid).
- Place two mounds of your crust mixture on parchment paper, and spread into two circles ( use the back of spoon to spread, and try not to spread too thin. Also slide the back of a spoon around the edges of the circles to smooth edges).
- Bake crust in oven for 11 minutes.
- While crust is baking, mix all sauce ingredients, and set aside.
- When your crust is a little browned on top, remove from oven.
- Put second sheet of parchment over top of crust, and use pot holders to flip baking sheet over onto new baking sheet.
- Slowly peel off top sheet of parchment paper from crusts.
- Put crusts back into oven and bake for 6 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and cover each with layer of pizza sauce.
- Add pizza toppings to half of each crust circle.
- Fold one half of each crust over the bottom half with the toppings ( like an omelet).
- Press open side of crust closed with spoon or fingers ( don't worry if not sealed well, it will seal when cheese melts).
- Brush the tops of pocket crust with melted butter, and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake in oven again for 8 minutes or until crust is slightly browned.
- Remove, cool, and serve.
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.* Learn More: More about this recipe and nutrition ...