Salisbury Steak Stroganoff
Prep: 15 min | Cook: 15 min | Total: 30 mins | Servings:6..
| This is a dish I would categorize as "grubbin'". I'm not entirely certain what it means for a dish to be grubbin', but I know it when I see it. It's usually a comfort food and is somehow deeply satisfying. There is a tendency to be a lot of fat and it's rarely attractive. It's the kind of food which nourishes the soul.|
This particular recipe is kind of fun, actually. Most everyone has heard of Salisbury Steak and just as many have heard of Steak Stroganoff. They are some similar themes between the two, which led me to merging them into the same rich dish. This is a marriage to last a lifetime!
Another one of the appeals for this recipe is the ease. It's a little messy to make the "steaks", but once the ground beef has been seasoned and formed, the steaks are then cooked in a hot pan with some mushrooms. They are flipped, the mushrooms tossed and sour cream (and a little regular cream) are added, where the whole kit and caboodle are left to quietly gurgle and sputter away, while the sauce thickens and the steaks continue to slowly cook.
Once the sauce is thick and the steaks cooked through, serve!
Photo Note: Served with Zoodles.
|2 tbsp (28g) butter||200||22||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 small (110g) onion, diced||44||0||1||10||2||0||8|
|4 each (12g) garlic cloves, minced||16||0||0||4||0||0||4|
|2 tsp (2g) fresh thyme, chopped and divided||2.02||.04||.12||.48||.28||0||0.2|
|2 lbs (908g) ground beef (80 lean/20 fat)||2306.32||181.6||154.36||0||0||0||0|
|2 large (100g) eggs||144||10||13||1||0||0||1|
|1 tbsp (14g) light oil (for sautéing ... such as coconut, olive or ghee)||120||12||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 lb (454g) crimini or button mushrooms, quartered||122.6||0||6.82||9.08||2.28||0||6.8|
|2 tbsp (34g) worcestershire sauce||26.46||0||0||6.68||0||0||6.68|
|1 cup (230g) sour cream||444||45||5||8||0||0||8|
|1 cup (238g) cream, heavy whipping||821||88||5||7||0||0||7|
|salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Totals (of 6 Servings):||4246.4||358.64g||185.3g||46.24g||4.56g||0g||41.68g|
|Per Serving:||707.73||59.77g||30.88g||7.71g||0.76g||0g||6.95g *|
For other great low-carb recipes, check out loads of daily recipes at Low Carbing Among Friends. I'm a member of this wonderful team.
Check out our books!(Psst. I'm in the fifth one!)
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat. When it is hot, add your butter, onions, garlic and half of your chopped thyme, with a little bit of salt and pepper. Stir until the onions and garlic turn a light shade of brown.
- Once the onions are lightly caramelized, place into a mixing bowl and spread them around the bowl into a thin layer, so that they may cool, more quickly.
- Add your ground beef to the onions (making sure the onions aren't hot enough to cook the beef, should only take a few minutes).
- Add your eggs to the beef, with a little salt and pepper. Blend together the beef, eggs and onion mixture.
- Form 6 nice "steaks". I made 6 football shapes, then squooshed them to make them the same thickness, the whole way across.
- Heat up a large sauté pan or skillet over high heat.
- While the pan is heating, season the surface of your steaks with a little salt and pepper.
- Add oil to the hot pan. Swirl it around and then add your steaks to the pan. Do not crowd them. There should be plenty of space between the steaks. Assuming your pan was hot, they should sear.
- Add your mushrooms to the pan and add a little salt and pepper to the mushrooms.
- Once you feel the surface of the steaks are nice and browned, flip the steaks and push the mushrooms around the pan. Allow to cook for about 1 minute.
- Turn your heat to medium-low and add your sour cream, cream, fresh thyme and Worcestershire sauce. Season with a little more salt and pepper.
- Push everything around the pan to mix it together, but be careful not to break up the steaks. I just swirl the pan around, until everything is blended.
- Allow the whole mixture to simmer together for about 12 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if it needs it.
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.* Learn More: More about this recipe and nutrition ...