|* Learn More: About This Recipe and Nutrition ...
Pancetta Crisps with Goats Cheese, Oranges, Pecans and Thyme
| These things were tasty! Often times when I see something like this ... so dainty and delicately arranged, it tends to lose its soul. It tends to taste a bit like nothing, with a mild "plastic-y" vibe to it.|
This one, on the other hand, was REALLY excellent! I can usually tell how good something is, by how quickly it gets eaten when I'm doing a photo shoot. The things I give away are good, but not my favorites. The things I save for myself are wonderful and usually good for refrigeration or freezing. The things that simply ... "disappear" ... without even getting to that point where I ask myself I whether I should try and save it, or find a friend ... THOSE things are the one I KNOW are good.
These didn't last long. They never hit my fridge and I KNOW no one else got any. They simply ... *POOF*
The pancetta crisped up in such a sturdy way, while still having a delicate "crisp" to them. The goats cheese lended a creamy tartness and the oranges just threw a brave blast of citrusy sweet into my mouth.
Really ... try this. Make it. I promise you ... you won't be sorry!
How To Note: The third step says to make orange sections. You can use the method in this video to make orange sections (called "Supremes").
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 45 hr
Total: 1 hr 15 mins
|20 slices (250g) pancetta, sliced into wheels||438.4||34.4||28.8||.8||0||0||0.8|
|1/2 cup (224g) goats cheese||815||67.2||49.28||6.72||0||0||6.72|
|2 tbsp (30g) cream, heavy whipping||102.63||11||.63||.88||0||0||0.88|
|2 each (280g) oranges||138||0||0||36||6||0||30|
|1/2 cup (49.5g) pecans halves, toasted||342||35.5||4.5||7||5||0||2|
|2 sprigs (2g) fresh thyme||2.02||.04||.12||.48||.28||0||0.2|
|salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Per Serving:||183.81||14.81g||8.33g||5.19g||1.13g||0g||4.06g *|
- Pre-heat your oven to 275 F.
- Spread your thinly sliced pancetta wheels on a silicone mat or parchment paper, on a baking tray.
- Bake your pancetta for approximately 45 minutes, or until the fat has rendered out, the color has darkened and they become crispy.
- Remove the pancetta from the oven and place the crisp wheels on a bed of paper towels, to cool.
- In a small bowl, blend together your goats cheese with the heavy cream. Whisk it, so that it is nice a thick, but spreadable. Like a slightly soft peanut butter. Set aside.
- With a vegetable peeler, peel the very outside orange layer of one of the oranges. Probably 2 nice strips of orange peel are all that is needed. When peeling, be careful to only get the orange portion of the skin and not the white part, underneath. If you do pick up some of the white part (the pith), you can scrape it off the strip with a spoon.
- Once you have your strips, slice them into VERY thin strips, like ... orange hairs or noodles. Set them aside.
- Now, make orange sections, by peeling the entire orange, so that just the meat is leftover, within the orange. Now cut with the knife close to one white section, cutting halfway into the orange. Now, cut alongside the next white line, down to the center. Repeat this process, removing the sections between each white line, as you go. If any seeds come out in the process, remove them. Set aside.
- Make very small thyme sprigs, by clipping small groups of leaves with scissors or a sharp knife. Set aside.
- Spread your pancetta crisps out on a tray or table top. On each crisp, in order, add a small amount of goats cheese spread (I used a pastry bag, but small spoonfuls are fine, as well), toasted pecan half, an orange section, orange zest noodles and a small sprig of thyme.
|Posted by DJ on Feb 13, 2013, 01:06 PM EST
|Thanks, Jen! It's definitely a tasty one. Glad it's timing out with your orange season!
|Posted by Jen on Feb 13, 2013, 07:23 AM EST
|Nice recipe: I have recently started to grow oranges in my backyard so this is timely.
Thanks for sharing.