|* Learn More: About This Recipe and Nutrition ...
Crab Cocktail Thingies
| When I originally set out to do this, I was planning on doing a very basic "Crab Cocktail Shooter". I may, still! I went to the store to purchase my ingredients and additionally sought some shot glasses. They were not to be found. Instead I found a stack of plastic wine glasses, with the detachable bases. I thought, "This is for a party and ... these are clearly disposable. DONE!" I bought them, then changed the concept to something slightly more elaborate.|
Now, it's more like a Mexican Crab Cocktail ... ish thingie ... in a disposable wine glass! Fun, huh?!
It's incredibly beautiful, totally light and incredibly delicious. There's no cooking involved and no big mixing of ingredients. The only real trick requires some knife skills, but ... even then ... it's not that big of a deal. Just use good fresh ingredients and you'll almost always win, almost all of the time!
Note: Suggest your guests slurp it down. People love it when they look at something so pretty and you say, "Slurp!"
How To Note: The third step says to make lime sections. You can use the method in this video to make lime sections (called "Supremes").
Prep: 20 min
Cook: 0 min
Total: 20 min
|1 each (67g) fresh lime, washed||3.82||0||.07||1.32||.07||0||1.25|
|1 lb (454g) fresh assorted fresh tomatoes, finely diced||82.32||0||4.49||17.46||4.49||0||12.97|
|1 each (6.67g) jalepeno chillies, seeds removed and finely diced||2||.04||.09||.4||.19||0||0.21|
|8 oz (227g) lump crab meat, drained and picked to remove shells||232.04||3.36||45.4||0||0||0||0|
|1 whole (136g) avocado, peeled and finely diced||227||21||3||12||9||0||3|
|16 sprigs (15g) cilantro leaves, fresh whole||3.5||0||0||.75||.5||0||0.25|
|salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Per Serving:||34.42||1.53g||3.32g||2g||0.89g||0g||1.11g *|
- With a vegetable peeler, peel the very outside green layer of the lime. Probably 2 nice strips of lime peel are all that is needed. When peeling, be careful to only get the green portion of the skin and not the white part, underneath. If you do pick up some of the white part (the pith), you can scrape it off the strip with a spoon.
- Once you have your strips, slice them into VERY thin strips, like ... lime hairs or noodles. Set them aside.
- Now, make lime sections, by peeling the entire lime, so that just the meat is leftover, within the lime. Now cut with the knife close to one white section, cutting halfway into the lime. Now, cut alongside the next white line, down to the center. Repeat this process, removing the sections between each white line, as you go. If any seeds come out in the process, remove them.
- Give a very course chop to each lime segment, resulting in about 3 or 4 pristine fresh lime segment pieces. Set this aside.
- Lay out 16 "glasses" on the countertop, then produce each of the following steps in each "glass".
- Now, in the base of each glass, add about 2 tbsp of tomato dice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a very small sprinkle of very finely diced jalepenos.
- Place about 1/2 oz of crab meat on each pile of tomatoes.
- Place the avocados on the top of the crab.
- Add 3 or 4 pieces of lime onto the top of each pile.
- Garnish with the lime zest and cilantro.