Hot and Spicy Macadamias
Prep: 15 min | Cook: 5 hr | Total: 20 min | Servings:16
| These hot and spicy macadamias came to be because I was trying to think of safe tasty treats to have lying around for a festive get together. This really fit the bill!|
They don't need refrigeration, so they can just "sit around". They don't need sticks or toothpicks. They're not particularly sloppy (although napkins would help, the red spices do stick to finger tips), and they don't need a lot of garnish or fuss. They're even really super easy to make! Just toast, toss with a little butter in a pan, throw in your spices and lemon juice ... toss, toss, toss ... DONE!
These are a hot and spicy, with a slight exotic twist and a tart finish ... thanks to the cumin and lemon. I'm not a huge fan of nuts, as a general rule, but ... these things were addictive!
|4 cups (536g) macadamia nuts, raw||3848||408||44||76||48||0||28|
|1 each (108g) lemon||7.63||0||.13||2.63||.13||0||2.5|
|1 tbsp (7g) smoked paprika||20.23||.91||1.05||3.92||2.59||0||1.33|
|1 tbsp (5g) cayenne pepper||17||1||1||3||1||0||2|
|1 tbsp (18g) salt||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 tsp (2g) cumin seed, ground||7.5||.44||0||.88||.22||0||0.66|
|2 tbsp (28g) unsalted butter||200||22||0||0||0||0||0|
|Totals (of 16 Servings):||4100.36||432.35g||46.18g||86.43g||51.94g||0g||34.49g|
|Per Serving:||256.27||27.02g||2.89g||5.4g||3.25g||0g||2.16g *|
For other great low-carb recipes, check out Low Carbing Among Friends.
Purchase Low Carbing Among Friends at Amazon.com!
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- Place macadamias on a baking tray and place into the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until toasted.
- Set up a nice "landing vessel" consisting of a large plate or platter, covered with paper towels. This will later catch the hot macadamias and absorb any extra fat, while they cool. Set this aside.
- Use a zester or the fine side of a cheese grater to zest the outside of the lemon (just remove the yellow layer, not the white part)
- Juice the lemon, and set the juice aside.
- In a bowl, blend the smoked paprika, cayenne, salt and cumin. Add your lemon zest to the spices and blend in.
- Place a large sauté pan on the stove, over medium-high heat. Get it hot.
- Once your macadamia nuts are toasted, remove from the oven and add to the hot pan.
- Immediately add your butter to the pan and sauté until the butter is melted. It may brown a little. This is a good thing.
- Spread your spice mix over the nuts and toss to evenly distribute the spices around the nuts.
- Add your lemon juice and quickly toss, until the "sizzle" has stopped (all the water has evaporated ... you want this process hot!).
- Once the nuts are covered and the lemon juice has evaporated, evenly layer your macadamia nuts on the paper towels. You want them one layer thick. If they are piled, they will trap hot air and water vapor between them, where they will steam and won't get as nice of a crunch.
- Once they've completely cooled ... serve!
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.* Learn More: More about this recipe and nutrition ...